We all know that eggs are a powerful superfood that pack a powerful nutritional punch. But sometimes we can get bored eating them scrambled or over easy. Enter the frittata. Easy to make, super delicious and if you add in some veggies and spices, you not only increase the vitamin content but also the dietary fiber as well.
Here is a simple recipe for a seasonal summer frittata:
- 6 organic eggs
- 1⁄2 cup of coconut milk (or a milk of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of diced zucchini
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup of chopped fresh sage
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Warm a pan over medium-high heat. Melt the coconut oil and add in garlic. Cook until the garlic lightly browns. Add onions, zucchini and butternut squash. Cook until tender. Whisk eggs, coconut milk and chopped sage in a separate bowl. Sprinkle in sea salt and pepper as desired.
Pour the egg mixture into the vegetable pan then place it into the oven. Bake for about 15-25 minutes. Check to see if it is done by using a toothpick. It should come out clean from the middle. Once complete, remove your frittata from the oven, cut yourself a slice and enjoy!